View Single Post

Old 04-25-2024, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,893 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
From Google

it legal to have a gas stove without a vent?
There's no national code for gas venting in the United States. Generally, in the U.S., you don't have to vent a residential gas range to the outside. But, we recommend that you buy a range hood to vent contaminants from your gas range to outside your home.
A lot of older houses are so leaky that fumes from a stove will dissipate. However, for several decades, homes have been made much tighter, what with better weatherstripping. While the national building code does NOT require ventilation for a gas range (California does), it’s an excellent idea. The chemicals released by burning gas and cooking food leave smells that can linger for hours, and some of them are not good for your lungs.

The ventilation above stoves most often found in The Villages is combined with a microwave oven, and that just filters out grease and blows the rest into the room. That’s not good enough for gas, and I don’t think it’s even good enough for electric. I like foods like broccoli, but I hate the smell. The ventilation for a gas stove should go outside, either through the attic or out the side. It should be 600 cubic feet per minute or more for gas. If you have a vent that sucks out 300 cubic feet a minute or more, then you also need a vent with a damper that will let fresh replacement air be sucked into the house from outside. Without that, the fan won’t work properly.

These fans aren’t cheap, and installing them isn’t cheap. Get Pike Electric to do it. They do great work. You can also get them to rewire for an electric stove. They are very reasonable.

I don’t have a range hood, as I don’t do much cooking except with the microwave oven, so I had a very quiet 190 cubic foot exhaust fan (Panasonic) installed near the stove in the ceiling, and that vents through a 4” hole in the eaves, like the bathroom exhaust fans. It’s on a timer. I also have a 4” vent for make-up air. When I cook something that will smell up the house all day, I turn on that exhaust fan for an hour, and it sucks out the smells.