View Single Post

Old 04-26-2024, 06:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Where did you get the idea that St. Augustine is a weed? It most certainly is a grass. Here is an article......
St.Augustine Grass

Our property had two kinds of grass when we purchased our home in 2013; Zoisia and St. Augustine. At this point, the St. Augustine has taken over 80% of the lawn and I cannot be happier. I much prefer the St. Augustine grass. It is heartier than the Zoisia. Most importantly, the Zoisia grass tunnels under the flower beds and pops up everywhere in the flower beds. It is a royal PIA to keep that grass out of where it is not supposed to be. St. Augustine grass, OTOH, travels on top when it encroaches the flower beds. St. Augustine grass is easy peasy to keep out of the flower beds. St. Augustine also remains a deep green color all year round. The Zoisia grass turns brown in the winter months when it goes dormant.
When one’s yard has been Kentucky Blue Grass, that feels like walking on velvet, barefoot. Your kids and grands crawled on it, played barefoot, laying on it to watch the clouds go by.

However If you read my post the sod that the builder put down was like weeds that looked green. Nothing like our St Augustine at the other Four houses in TV.

When you look at the half of builder sod (green sparse sharp wide blade that resembles weeds) The newly installed St Augustine that looks like grass, you would make the same comment the builder sod looks like green weeds.
Your explanation is what StAugustine should look like, not what some sod looks like in some areas.

Been here since 2007 so kind of know what St Augustine should look like. We take care of our lawns so no cross contamination from lawn guys mowers.