View Single Post

Old 04-27-2024, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I agree, let the EV gang hang themselves. I wouldn’t own one nor an EV car. Too expensive, too expensive for the long run (how much to replace the lithium battery in 8 years?), and mileage isn’t all that great in the winter months. I picked up an electric loaner while I needed an oil change, and belt replacement and the charge dial went down over 1/2 just going 16 miles. Newer cart, battery was 3/4 full, and I was worried I wouldn’t make it back to the shop.
The new lithium batteries are fantastic. They come with a 5 year warranty, and are designed to last 3000 cycles. (Lithium batteries are rated based on cycles, not years).

On my Evolution D5 Ranger with a 205ah battery, I can go 65 miles on a cycle, so that equates to a designed life of 195,000 miles. Even if I drive 5,000 miles per year that equates to 39 years! I'll be ready for a new cart before I ever have to replace the battery based on life expectancy.

Even if I had an early failure, say at 10 years, a new battery is currently $3K and the price is dropping every year. I'm pretty sure I'll save $3K in gas, oil changes, and clutch replacements over that 10 years.

The Evolution is $10K less than a comparable Star EV or Club Car and is loaded with features. Also $5K-$7K less than a Yamaha Drive 2 (my last cart), so there's enough savings to already purchase a new battery before I even drive it.