View Single Post

Old 04-28-2024, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,677 Times in 3,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I don't think it is possible to live in Florida, or the South, without using treatments of some kind or another. There is, of course, a natural way of keeping bugs out of your home and yard and that means you have snakes and spiders. I am very aware of the chemicals and I am also very wary of snakes and spiders, so I take the easy way out and have my property treated and hope like hell that I am too tough to succumb to some dreadful sickness in my dotage. However, I have watched the begging infomercials from the children's hospitals and have thought that there are so many young children with cancer and you name it.
So - the insecticide doesn't prevent insects from being there. It just kills them after the fact. So you have some dead insects. Easy pickings for spiders, which now are poisoned by the poisoned dead insects. Snakes don't eat insects, or spiders. But they do eat mice and other rodents, birds, occasionally lizards, and they consider turtle eggs a delicacy. Many of THOSE things will eat dead insects. And then THEY will be poisoned by those poisoned dead insects. And then the snakes will be poisoned by the poisoned dead rodents, birds, and tainted eggs. And then the birds of prey and carrion birds such as hawks and vultures will eat those snakes, and become poisoned. And then - and then - and then - until the food chain has to rely on Monsanto to fix all the problems that they caused by poisoning the food chain.

We can't prevent it without going back to the 1700's, and devolution is bad (contrary to popular belief). But we can each play some small part in delaying the inevitable conclusion. Weeding your garden by hand is one small thing many people can do. Learning to live with snakes and spiders in your own garden is another small thing many people can do. Planting flowers and herbs that attract pollinators is another small thing many people can do. Using natural fertilizer is another thing. Finding some organic food that you enjoy, and supporting that instead of supporting mega-farms that thrive on chemicals is another thing. Buying eggs from local small farmers instead of egg factories that torture their chickens is another thing.

If everyone picked one thing they could improve on, it'd make a big impact.