Thread: New PGA Store
View Single Post

Old 04-29-2024, 05:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,224 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
It's awesome! I was just there the other day, to find a new putter. All the putters are arranged around a big putting green. So I picked up one of those weird Lab Golf putters and made a 20' putt, first stroke. $500. Rats! So I started checking the other prices. The cheapest used putter I could find in the store was $250. So I stopped at Johnnies Birdie Golf on the way home and found a close enough reasonable facsimile mallet putter, brand new for $100, and still felt ashamed explaining this ridiculous extravagance to my wife.

They've also got some great tee box simulators. Unfortunately, it looked to me like you had to ask someone to fit you with a new driver to use one.

Usually, we worry about big box stores putting the little guys out of business. Maybe not this time.

New Golf Equipment is essentially what used to be called "Fair Traded". There are essentially no discounts on new golf equipment, produced by the major suppliers and the all have MAP pricing. PING is about the worst to deal with from that perspective, but they're all fairly difficult.

You want a current Taylormade, Callaway or Titleist Driver, you pay MSRP, no matter where you buy it. As long as it's "current", discounts are nearly impossible to find.