View Single Post

Old 11-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Eternal Member

I have Comcast for internet, Direct-TV for television and I use an internet phone called Ooma. I had a Majic Jack but I was very dissatisfied with a number of Majic Jack attributes. First, my computer needed to be on all the time to get or make a call, there was a relatively long wait for dial tone, and there were frequent poor connection problems. It would often sound like people were underwater while speaking, there was echo, and I was often forced to re-boot the computer before I could make a call. I bought the Ooma (it's expensive compared to the MajicJack) and my wife, who refused to use the phone connected to the MJ, uses the Ooma all the time. It has been flawless since I installed it (granted it's only been about 10 days). It connects between the cable router and the wireless hub, and it works completely independent of the computer. So I don't have to have the machine up for it to work.
I know others say they are very satisfied with MJ, but for some reason it didn't work well for me at all. Maybe it was my computer, or individual MJ unit itself. I don't know. But the comparison between the Ooma and the MJ is night and day.