View Single Post

Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Gold member
Default relocating from Ohio

I have what I thought was a cute story from a greeter (from Columbus, OH) we met at the new residents' breakfast. She was single (either divorced or widowed, don't know, doesn't matter), mother of 2, grandmother of 4, retired from her 2nd career in Columbus. Spent her time mostly ferrying school-age grandchildren to/from soccer, etc. and babysitting while their parents went on various vacations.

visited friend or relative in the Villages for like 1 week (ok, maybe 2), no intention of doing anything but taking a vacation - bought a house, flew back home, stopped at Kinko's on her way and bought a FSBO sign, stuck it in her yard, got her house in contract in like 2 days (this was 4 years ago, remember), and when her kids called to ask about her vacation, said it was great, and she was moving in 6 weeks!

Kids were shocked, but dealt with it (no other choice) and 6 mos or so later she was living in the Villages and working part-time for the rec dept, having a blast. Said her kids now went on family vacations together, with all the kids, have reconnected, come to visit, as do the grandkids, and everyone is happier, including her. Said she's in a wonderful, friendly neighborhood, included in all kinds of things, and extremely happy.

Just another fairly typical story of how someone ended up in TV. Just thought I'd throw this in to say don't be afraid to try. you will most likely love it, and if you don't, what's the worst thing that could happen? You could move back. But, if you're like the vast majority, you won't - you'll wish you'd done it sooner.