View Single Post

Old 01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Boomer

Fully understand...when we go to a race track...which is very infrequent...my better half never reads a race sheet but selects horses based on there names or the color of silks they wear.....and of course 9 out of 10 selections will be a long shot. Initially I was hestitant to place her bet...what did she know but she has an uncanny knack of picking at least one winner and getting the best out of her $2....while I only have race stubs to show!! Im hoping PGF is better than my race picks and at least it has a dividend cushion which I hope holds up.

Nothing is life or death (if it is you should not be doing this) but there is some excitement in trying to do the best we can!

Best to you (and other participants on this board) in the New Years...and its always good to throw an idea out...I mean thats the purpose of the board correct!!!

And of course like you, I know nothing than than average person walking the street!

Uh oh, Caroline, this is a discussion I have a hard time resisting, and I really need to get to real work, but while we are at it here......I am looking for an opinion on something, too.....

Last spring and summer, I picked up some more utilities because of the dividend. I have been using them to replace CD's, to a certain extent. I recently picked up DPL, although I caught it too high to likely capture a lot of gain, the dividend was not terrible. I have just started to visit the idea of FE. Again, not a thrilling dividend but better than CD's.

But my question is, where is the vulnerability in utilities? I recognize there will be green influence more and more. But, overall, for a boring investor like me, I keep wondering about the vulnerability of utilities stocks.

And speaking of just a feeling....I bought KFT last year, and it has done well. I wish I had bought more. I bought it because I thought mac and cheese would be popular.

Anyway, I am looking for comments on utilities. And yes, of course, I have Duke and SE. It was once CG&E.

Yeah, I know. You can take the girl out of Cincinnati. But you can't take the Cincinnati out of the girl. And so, rest assured, I never bet the farm. Just the butter and egg money.

Boomer