View Single Post

Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
Gracegirl,
I owned a commercial window cleaning company here in VA for 20 years..Here is the "secret" to streak free window washing. Use 1 part ammonia to two parts water, scrub window down ( if it has hard water stains, use a soft 000 steel wool pad that you can get at any depot or paint store, making sure no soap is in it, just plain ,, it will not scratch I promise!) and then squeege! The squeege is the key. I know folks like newspaper, chamois, etc but a rubber squeege you can get at any lowes, etc works the very best and is the key to streak free. Whatever you do, no windex! If you look at the ingredients, it has a form of carnuba wax in it to give you the original "shine"that also turns into streaks! Good luck!
Thank you VERY much. I am sure that many have had the same question. The worst smeary look are the big ones to the lanai where the evening sun comes straight in. I appreciate your answer very much!

A project that I have had on my list to learn to do is to frame my own canvases. I know that you need a miter box and that part seems clear, the cutting of the boards, but I don't know how you brad them, nail them together and how you attach the frame to a canvas. ( I paint...pictures that is) Glass is not needed so that simplifies things a lot. I just didn't have the courage to walk into such a male domain as the woodworking shop.