Talk of The Villages Florida - View Single Post - The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse
View Single Post
 
Old 09-24-2026, 08:45 AM
ThirdOfFive ThirdOfFive is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 761
Thanked 6,264 Times in 2,212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
An interesting article on the collapse of society.

Unfortunately, Florida is on the list.

My favorite quote “Now we have algorithms. Algorithms don’t eat, but they also don’t care if you do.”


The 5 Places In America You DON’T Want To Be When Society Begins To Collapse
Interesting article.

I've long thought that when the major SHTF moment arrives, it will not be a question of when, but how, and I doubt there will be much if any warning. I can think of several flash points around the globe involving nations with hair-trigger issues; any one of which could explode into a major conflagration in literally a matter of hours at most, and such things have a domino effect that enhances the spread even farther and quicker. For those who don't ignore history, think of World War One. It took just 37 days from the instant the match was lit (Gavrilo Princip assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinand) to most of Europe being engulfed. And THAT was in 1914, when communication consisted of telegraph, rudimentary telephones, newspapers, carrier pigeons and the like. Consider how much faster word of things would spread today--until of course the internet itself gives up the ghost.

Is there a good place to be "if and when"? I doubt it. Florida has ample water--assuming one has the equipment and ability to purify it--and various edible critters. But self-sufficiency for most of TV's age group (septuagenarians and up) is mostly a pipe dream. We're dependent, despite how much we might like to lie to ourselves. Twenty years ago? Maybe. I was a pretty good shot and enjoyed both hunting and foraging, with Northern Minnesota being my source of experience. But today? Maybe for a short while, until the water supply and dried food ran out. But when the "scenery" all of a sudden becomes mushroom clouds (and Florida is lousy with targets) then we're talking days. Weeks at the most. In such a situation I'd far prefer that one of those mushroom cloud - causers landed on my head instead of on the far horizon.

I recall reading a pretty scary statement some decades back, to the effect that "if World War III is fought with nukes, then World War IV will be fought with spears, arrows and clubs". There is far more truth in that than any of us would care to admit. If the SHTF event results in watching my loved ones starve and my hair falling out, then I'd opt for a quick, clean exit. Far better that, than experiencing hopelessness for whatever remains of my life.