View Single Post

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Cool We did a float floor in our GA house worked great.

We did a float floor in our GA house but it was engineered wood not Laminate. 5/8". (It was a click product) Did the step two mentioned using level Quick to fill the dips. We used a thicker foam. I don't remember the thickness but the thin one was blue and the thicker was cream. It held up great no problems. I however made sure my spacer around the edge was secure (stripof wood not their dumb spacers from the kit.)so when we pushed against it, it didn't move. One of the problems we found is that the sheetrock doesn't go all the way to the slab so when you put in the spacers they tip. We used an 1/8" x 2" so it was pushing on the sheet rock then cut the rock to above the finished floor when done and replaced the trim. This way the floor can expand under the sheetrock if needs be. The guy at the flooring store suggested we put caulk in the gap around the edge when we were done so the seams wouldn't open up. We did this, don't know if that is normal as never saw it in any instructions.

Did glue down in another room. What I liked about the glue down is I could do a pattern using two colors. 6 strips of the light around the edge then 3 of the dark then the rest with the light. If is a bit tricky but really looked great when done. The higher end Bruce and some of the more expensive lines have a mosaic border that they sell which is how I got the idea.

Last edited by TrudyM; 03-18-2010 at 02:21 PM.