View Single Post

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Default US Made Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Thanks, JJ, I'll check out the one in Pasadena and Orlando but will pass on Syracuse, thanks. I had no idea furniture was still made in the U.S., never mind New York. Great news and well worth supporting our on shore manufacturing plants. Looking forward to receiving my new catalog. Thanks, K.
An update on a almost dead thread ...

There are still many furniture manufacturers in the US. The low end and middle have been driven out of business by furniture manufactured abroad (mostly China these days). I know that Stickley, Henkel Harris and Baker are still made in the US and there are hundreds of smaller companies that make really good stuff. Some of the "amish" furniture I have seen is of really good quality. US-made furniture is more expensive, but I will not buy anything made in China if there is any alternative (and there normally is); and, good quality is the cheapest in the long run.

If you like "period furniture", then there is an even more interesting approach. Virtually every city in the US had furniture factories in the late 1800s and early 1900s. If you look around (Craig's List, estate sales, etc), you can furnish (part of?) your home with period furniture made in your previous home town.