Thread: Diy
View Single Post

Old 04-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Banned
Default Seal tile/grout after installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
what tile did you use for back splash? we are using the tumbled stone chiaro for ours. How did you go about sealing the tile? before putting on the wall, or after sticking up on the wall before you grouted?
We used a tumbled stone tile. I don't remember the name but it was a light cream to tan varigated tone. We used a moca grout. New to me was a matching caulking material to match the grout. It is color matched to the grout and has a sand finish so it is a perfect match to the grout. When we did the grouting I did not grout the strip above the formica counter back splash. I used a piece of wood to keep the vertical gout out of this area. After the grout dried I went back taped the top of the counter and used the grout like caulking to do that horizontal line. The caulking is very flexible and the tape made a clean line on top of the counter back splash.
The whole area was sealed after installation and a specified time with a water base sealer. It is very thin and only takes a small amount. The place I bought the tile (Floor Masters) actually gave me a small amount of sealer in a wide mouth jar. It was very good stuff but only available in gallons and expensive so the dealer just gave me some N/C. The sealer makes the tile slightly darker than plain, kind of like it looks wet but not really shinny. I Did two coats of sealer. After 18 months it looks very good.
Hope this helps.