Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Does anybody remember Dr. Mirkin, who advertised on totv long ago? I signed up for his e-zine, and one thing he said to do to alleviate arthritis pain was to avoid eating mammal meat. (There was an entire page of scientific reasons for this, which I promptly forgot) Like you, Bare, I don't like to take medicines or chemicals if I don't have to, so I thought quitting the mammal meat for a month or so would be an easy experiment. There are plenty of chicken, fish & pasta dishes to enjoy.

After about 3 weeks of my experiment some friends asked me how it was working, and I told them I didn't think it was working at all. lol I stayed with the diet, but after about a month we were invited to a neighbor's for a steak dinner cookout. Who can resist? Ay carumba! The next morning my old knees could barely get me out of bed. Then I remembered... that was how they used to feel all the time. It might be worth giving up mammal meat for a while to see if it works for you?

On the other hand, my sister-in-law's vet prescribed glucosamine for her golden retriever, and the ancient, arthritic dog was like a puppy again!

I hope you're feeling better in no time!
Hey UUJudy, your post is very interesting. I've never heard the term "mammal meat" and had to look it up on Wikipedia! I've never eaten lamb or veal or (shudder shudder) horse. I had a horse named Jets Encore for 23 years. I won't even give my dogs horse meat! I gave up beef about four years ago. I just couldn't stand to look at the cows in the trucks going to the slaughter house and feel guilty any more.

Off topic. Anyway, I can't give up mammal meat because I don't eat it. But I guess I'd probably feel far worse if I hadn't given it up.

Some people swear by Glucosmine and others find it doesn't help a bit. Others swear by fish oil and I'm taking that also. It doesn't seem to help, but I have lots of fishy burps .. uggggg! I'm really hoping that spending an hour a day in a 91 degree pool will help.

I've heard Alleve is great, but I think it is a blood thinner and I'm not allowed to take those. I guess I'm stuck with Tylenol until they figure it my knee injury out. When I take Tylenol, it definitely eases the pain. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life taking tylenol.

I has arthoscopic surgery on both knees 20 years ago. That isn't a walk in the park either. I hope I don't have to do that again.

Graciegirl, I'm encouraged that Sweetie's injury healed without surgery. And PTurner, you're a nutbar!