View Single Post

Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM

I was a member of the amenities board in my last community. A golfer and a homeowner got into a heated dispute over the golfers ball striking the homeowners roof. The errant shot knocked a tile loose. The homeowner came running out of his house screaming and cussing the golfer. The golfer said " If you are going to behave like that then I have nothing further to discuss with you. The homeowner complained to us ( The Board ) and was told that our decision was, that it was not a board matter and if you can not settle it between you, then go to court. The homeowner did. The judge's decision was," If the course was there when you built or bought your home, then neither the golfer or the community is responsible for any damage caused by an errant golf ball, as you should have been aware of the perils involved by living on a golf course. If the course had been built after you bought your home and you were not made aware of the fact that a course was going to be built behind your home before you purchased it, then the golfer and/or the course may be responsible ".

The moral of the story;

The golfer told the judge that if the homeowner did not behave like an ass, he would have paid for the mans damaged roof tile.

HOMEOWNER--- $4,700.00 for lawyer and court costs.
REPAIR--------- 35.00
GOLFER-------- 0,000.00