View Single Post

Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Gold member
Default can answer some, others may know the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn222 View Post
I am trying to decide if I can, financially, move to TV. I have several questions. Some are finance related others not. If you have the time to answer one or all questions....THANK YOU.

1.Are residents concerned about the $355 million TV owns to the IRS?
2.Would I need flood insurance? If yes, why!?
3.Should I have golf cart insurance?
4.Is it difficult scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor? Can you get an appointment that week or is the appointment several weeks away?
5.Do most doctors accept new patients?
6.Do most doctors accept Medicare?
7.What is the Community Development District Fee? Am I confusing this with something else like the bond, amenity fee, personal property tax?
8.What is an EMS Assessment ($125)? What does EMS stand for?
9.TV's Relocation Service. Did they help? What does it cost?
10.Homestead Exemption. If I have a bond, can I get this?
11.What are golf cart trail fees? An easier question may be...If I don't golf, do I have to pay this fee?
12.Would I need a water softener in my home?
1. I don't believe there's been a ruling yet regarding the IRS and the bonds. Yes, I think everyone is concerned, but I think the ruling will be favorable to TV's developers. Others have posted about precedent cases in Florida.
2. Not aware of flood insurance needed for most Villages properties - is anyone in a flood zone here? Maybe lots on Lake Miona? Almost all other ponds are man-made and levels controlled by TV engineers.
3. Golf cart liability insurance is highly recommended, don't think it's required. I personally don't have collision insurance on my 2005 reconditioned Club Car. The liability insurance runs about $35 (can't remember if $31 or $36) every 6 mos, with a separate policy from Allstate.
4. 5. 6. Don't know yet. Someone else?
7. Do you mean the Maintenance Bond? Depends on your district. It's my understanding this never goes away and could possibly increase, but property taxes are VERY reasonable compared to most states (Ohio is just an average tax state and still property taxes are much lower in TV). There is no personal property tax, only a one time initial car registration fee when you first move to Florida and license a vehicle. Don't know for sure if subsequent are subject to this fee but I don't think replacement vehicles have the same fee.
8. Emergency Medical Service? Someone please help here.
9. Relocation service helpful? Don't know, but I used to be a realtor and also a Relocation Director. IMO you should use a local agent in your current town who has been referred by satisfied customers if you don't know a good one. A referred agent (from the TV Relocation Service) has to pay a referral fee to The Villages if they get your listing and sell your house. Tough enough job without paying 25% or more of the commision to someone else for basically nothing.
10. I don't believe the Homestead Exemption has anything to do with the bond, only the property tax. Look on the county website for more info.
11. If you don't golf, you do not have to pay a trail fee. But you might consider taking lessons and trying it. You can walk with your own pull cart for free and it's good exercise and not difficult for 9 executive holes - since you're paying the amenity fee for those anyway.
12. I think a water softener is unnecessary but everyone has different ideas about that. I've moved many, many times, and I don't consider the water in TV to be especially hard or taste bad. I've had them in well water areas.

Hope this helps. Someone else can correct any misinformation and answer what I couldn't. I've owned for 4 years, but won't be living there until this fall, have just "visited" my house from time to time.