View Single Post

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Default iphone saga (probably best in computer forum?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Just go to the app store and search for weatherbug or weather channel. There are lots of weather apps, so you might just want to search for weather and see what you get.

What version of iPhone did you have go belly up ?

Happy hunting
L&L answer:

yeah, the canned weather on the home screen is paltry.
we like hour by hour
the 'daily', can give a bleak 70% (or more) of precip if at any time in the 24 hours there is a chance of a drip.

the fone?
it's our 4th after a theft, a bad slam in a car door, and a loss.
3G (we don't "qualify" for an upgrade for 18 mo.)

So we have the google/gmail calendar auto web-based push and synch - (this is great but made us lazy)
so it had been a couple months since the contacts and 'notes' were synched'

We plugged it into the minimac and that's when 'error 29' showed up 5 times after updates, etc.
It said 'reset me and lose the info or else turn me off"

I mean this thing went dumb as can be- no function - you know that 'you're screwed and everything is lost' screen that says' plug me in to Itunes now or I'm not talking!'
no camera, no 9-11 calls.
Support geniuses walked me though some steps:
error 29 is 'hardware' try another synch cord, another port, finally gave an appointment for that night.
they gave us a new fone with a couple signatures.

Back in March the phone went for a freshwater dive and the home button went out- it was fresh water and just 3 seconds when it went overboard in a lake with me.
Tried all the tricks - fridge, rave, dessicant, warmth, you name it.

Our son opened it and cleaned contacts (should have used an eraser but he used something a bit stronger)
A few functions came back but to get 'home' it required tedious poweringn off and waiting, then powering on.
The son found a shortcut involving setting it up with a code for an emergency call . The home button miraculously came back in 60 days.
We took it to Apple and without even opening the kid knew it went under water-tell tale white dot visible from the outside was red.
BUT the two others inside were still white- so it was a short soak.

We must have had a colorblind genius when we got the new fone last week

We now have some dry bags for such outings, and a large one for the iPad.
Hey, is there a way to 'tether' the iphone to our iPad to avoid yet another 'plan??

L&L