Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Well, I'm not as clever as many of you word-smiths, although I am a word-smith "wannabe". So my post might be boring, but, Freeda has the answers; it is only through practice that they work. I do the same thing -- I ask for veggies rather than the serving of fries with my fish basket. I never eat any bread, unless it is extremely high fiber. Sugar doesn't cross my lips; I bake/cook my own sugar-free desserts and treats. My salads are eaten with vinegar dressings without sugar in them (no creamy fattening stuff). Fruits are all low glycemic and are limited to mostly berries. Veggies are all low glycemic -- I haven't eaten corn or white potatoes in a long, long, long time. Cooking can be an outlet for creativity. If you don't cook, educate yourself about low-glycemic foods and choose wisely in restaurants.

When I was younger, I always wondered why "old people" were always so interested in taking vitamins and life-extension. I thought it was silly to panic at the end and try to extend your life. Just lately I have come to understand that we "old people" are not trying to extend our life, but instead are hoping to stay healthy during those last years. Am I on the right track with low-glycemic foods? I think so . . .hope so.

Now, if you really want to be healthy, eliminate meat from your diet. (Read The China Study) But that's another (sometimes touchy) subject . .