Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I forgot about the forgetfulness part. That too.

Soft hot breads are my ultimate comfort foods. A life without bread-- the mere thought makes me want to grab a (dark) chocolate bar to relieve the stress.

Why, oh why, do women need comfort food!?
I totally understand; that's how it was with me and French fries. I really don't miss them, and would have never believed I'd say that!

Some of the lowest-glycemic breads are: coarse barley kernel bread (75% or higher in kernels) - around 27-34 on the glycemic index; and rye kernel bread (pumpernickel) - 41 on the glycemic index. I would limit even low-glycemic bread, but these are at least some of the better choices. Not soft, and not white, I know, but at least there are some choices versus total abstinence from bread!! There was NOTHING that I could substitute for French fries; I just had to go 'cold turkey'.

And probably a little dark unsweetened (and non-milk) pure chocolate here and there would be a better choice than white bread. Alas, white bread is 70 on the glycemic index; ie, it is higher than if we just slapped pure table sugar (which is 'only' 61 on the glycemic index) on our tongue.