Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Green & Protein Smoothies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm also curious whether anyone has some good smoothie recipes which contain protein. Or perhaps you just add a protein powder? I think K-9 is our smoothie "go to" girl. Any good internet sites with smoothie suggestions?
Here are two good websites with lots of recipes to try:

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/smoothie-recipes/

http://pimpmyproteinshake.blogspot.c...hake%20recipes

After reading lots of these recipes, I've come up with a simple formula that I follow. I go through my fridge and pantry and just use what's there. It's best to have a HIGH POWERED blender or liquifier so you won't end up with an unappetizing "chunky" instead of a smoothie. I use a VitaMix. Put into blender in order of soft stuff first, then hard stuff. Here goes:

- small amount of almond milk, or soy milk (or yogurt)

- protein powder if desired (I use Jay Robb rice, it tastes best)

- soft stuff: fresh fruit or veggies (like peaches, orange, apple, grapes, blueberries, melon, cucumber, tomato, sweet pepper, etc.)

- greens: uncooked spinach is good for beginners 'cause you cannot taste it

- hard stuff: whole carrot, uncooked cabbage, celery

- frozen stuff: frozen strawberries, frozen mixed fruit, 1/2 frozen banana (just take the peel off, break in half, place in baggie in freezer

- sweetener: 3/4 cup splenda, or use stevia, honey, agave, or your favorite sweetener

- flavorings: you can add cinnamon, peanut butter, extracts, nuts, etc.

Or, if you just want a fun flavor, simplify and just combine yogurt/milk with frozen fruit. Or yogurt/milk and dark chocolate, sweetener & ice. You get the idea . . .