Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Sage

Hi y'all,
I appreciate so much the moral support on my diet. Sorry for the delayed response. As mentioned on another thread, I am working on my HS reunion, and as the time approaches, busy, busy, busy.

I am not following one particular book. Did quite a bit of research on the internet. Looked through some books at nearby bookstore, but didn't find one that jumped out at me.

I am eating a lot of fruits, especially berries, which I love. I eat an apple or peach every day as they are high in soluble fiber. Eat some type of peas or beans every day as they are very high protein and little to no fat. I've made some soups with barley and other whole grains. Dark green, red and purple veges. Various fish and shell fish. Some chicken. Eggs. A few nuts with fruit for snacks.

Sorry to say I have given up on yogurt. Wonderful as it's supposed to be, I just don't like it. Thought I would develop a taste, and instead I liked it a bit less every time I ate it. BTW, I agree with UUJudy about the smoothies. I love, love, love fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc, and prefer to eat them that way. I eat them with oatmeal-- yum.

Some notes on the low GI and smoothing out blood sugar front:
  • Always eat some protein with a meal! Never an exception. It lowers the glycemic load of the meal, you burn more calories and it stabilizes blood sugar
  • Sour foods help stabilize blood sugar-- so if I can add lemon or vinegar to a dish, I've been doing that. Garlic, even better. Good for cholesterol and stabilizing blood sugar! Eat mo' pickles
  • Smaller portions, but eat more often. I see this as adding kindling to the fire (metabolism) to keeping the fire (calories) burning.
  • Cinnamon (w/out sugar) supposedly helps stabilize blood sugar, so I put it in oatmeal, apples, coffee and green tea.
Meals
typical breakfast: Either Oatmeal with flaxseed and fruit or omlet and fruit, whole-grain bread, coffee. (I make oatmeal and omlets with a little skim milk for the calcuim.)

typical snacks: some type of fresh fruit with nuts or seeds or a boiled egg

typical lunch or dinner:
salad, oil (extra virgin olive) and vinegar dressing. Salad will include some protein such as: nuts, chicken, little cheese, boiled egg, peas, beans, seeds.

chicken or fish, steamed vegetables, side salad

barley (and/or other grains) and vegetable soup.

desert: what else, fruit and nuts

I'll venture out more after I lose 10 pounds. Haven't thought about maintenance plan yet. I'm still in weight loss mode.

I feel great!!

Last edited by Pturner; 08-13-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo