Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Those Alluring Smoothies

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
I hope you all can help me to understand the allure of smoothies...

Why would you take perfectly good strawberries, blueberries, spinach, carrots, yogurt, etc... and mush them all together in a blender? You wouldn't do that with a steak dinner, would you?

I had a smoothie once, and it wasn't bad, but it seems like a lot of work and mess to make a smoothie at home when you have the fresh ingredients right there, ready to eat, and the strawberry tastes like a strawberry . . .

But then again, I feel the same way about the crock pot. Everything tastes the same when it's finished, and it's kind of mushy.
The long answer:
The reason we like smoothies is because we can put a wheelbarrow load of vegetables in with the fruit, whip it up, and it tastes like a dessert. The color of the smoothie may not be pretty depending on the ingredients, but the taste -- oh my -- it is always refreshing. Eating raw vegetables is particularly healthy and truthfully, we probably would not eat that many raw vegetables if not for the smoothies. Mrs. K9 adds protein to her portion, as she is subject to blood sugar spikes.

For us, it is easier and less messy than trying to prepare all those vegetables so they would be appealing and tasty. For example, do you normally eat raw cabbage unless it is made into cole slaw? Making cole slaw takes a lot more work than just popping a wedge into the blender. Did you know that raw cabbage juice is good for the intestinal tract and has been proven to heal all kinds of digestive problems? What about raw celery -- do you eat it plain? You see, with the smoothies, we get the benefit of the raw veggies without the time-consuming preparation, and usually the prepared veggies are laden with extra calories.

The short answer:
The more green smoothies we consume, the more weight we lose without even trying.