Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
OK, that clean up sounds easy peasy! I don't have a blender but I have a food processor. Will that work?

Do I have the "basic" smoothie thing right? ......

I need a fluid .. skim or soy or almond milk?
I need protein .. whey isolate protein?
I need yogurt?
Some type of berries? Or low GI fruit.
Something healthy like spinach? Or low GI veggie.

Do I need icecubes?
Basic Smoothie:

Fluid -or- Yogurt, not both
Whey Isolate Protein works
Spinach is good - I use the prewashed baby spinach in a bag
Freeze your berries or other fruit to eliminate the need for ice cubes. Ice waters down the taste, plus it stays "grainy". My favorite combination is frozen sliced strawberries and 1/2 frozen banana.

A regular blender would work better than a food processor. And, a food liquifier works better than a blender. As you know, the food processor has a large bowl and the spinach will be cut into small pieces and some will stick on the sides of the bowl. You will have to scrape down the sides of the bowl several times if you use a food processor.

Start on low speed and then go to highest speed. (For a blender: use something to push the spinach and frozen fruit down into the blades while it runs on highest speed. Stick a wooden spoon or something else down through the hole in the top of the blender cap, but be careful not to hit the spoon on the blades). For a food processor, pulse many times, scrape down the bowl, pulse and scrape, pulse and scrape. (I don't expect the food processor to do a very good job, though).

If you find that you like smoothies, and think you will make them often, then it might be worth looking into a food liquifier because they make the BEST BEST BEST smoothies (even the seeds from the fruit disappear!). And, you can use them to make a variety of meals so easily. Since we got our Vitamix, we threw away our regular blender, our ice cream maker, our bread machine, and our old smoothie maker because it replaced all of those appliances. The food processor almost hit the trash - but I love it and can't part with it, even though the Vitamix can almost perform the same tasks. Montel has an infomercial selling a food liquifier that's not too expensive. We got our Vitamix from costco online. Even though everything is liquified, you still benefit from the fiber.

Let me know how it turns out!