View Single Post

Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Gold member

Since it was my post from quite awhile ago that led to this question, let me clarify from what I now know.

1) The people at DirecTV don't always know what you get or don't get. I was originally told (when I contracted for service), that the regional sports package would include the YES network. Then, when I wanted to initiate service at the beginning of the 2009 season I was told that the regional package only provided the regional sports in your particular area and that meant that the YES network was only available in the NY metro area. As a result, I went with the MLB extra innings package (at considerably more cost).

2) At some point after the the 2009 season I decided to experiment with the regional sports package and to my surprise, the YES network was indeed included ... and not just for the games, but their full broadcast day. Not only that, but the regional stations from around the country were also included. I find that to be a very good bargain (and wonder why they offer it so cheaply since it certainly eats into their MLB Extra Innings revenue.)

3) When games are broadcast on My9, the regional sports network opens up a special channel for the game coverage.

4) The only time that the Yankee broadcast team (Michael Kay, et al) are not available for a game is when the Yankees play the Rays. In that case you have to watch the (very boring, in my opinion) Rays broadcast team on the Florida regional sports channel. But, at least you can still see the game.

Note, this entire discusion is from my perspective of DirecTV. As someone pointed out above, I was under the impression that the telephone company only had a deal with Dish Network - but I could be wrong.

I have yet to find a cheap alternative to watch the Giants. I find their pro football package to be way over-priced (especially with the add-on cost to watch games in Hi-def).