View Single Post

Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Like Donna I quit for 6 months and thought I had it beat. Then in a bar one night I bummed a cigarette thinking I could smoke just one. An hour later I bought a pack from a machine. Then a day or two later bought a carton. I smoked for another 22 years.
15 years ago I got tired of the hypocrites in power in New York State who would scream about who terrible smoking is, then hike the taxes on smokes to raise money for most anything. It seemed that the only minority they could attack and tax with impunity was the smokers. That finally annoyed me enough that I quit. I used patches which made my arm burn like hell but I figured that was a price I had to pay.
My morning cough cleared up with a week and my endurance quickly improved. The weight thing has been difficult but it wasn't easy when I smoked either. I had no idea how badly I stunk until the odor wasn't there anymore. Now I absolutely detest the smell of smoke, as do most ex-smokers.
If I could do it, with my lack of will power and an addictive personality, anyone can do it. Good luck.