View Single Post

Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
It would be nice if the Florida law banned smoking where food is served, inside or out. It is probably coming, because many states have done that. When I smoked i didn't like the smell when I was eating. So much of what you taste is what you smell.
I hope they DO pass this law in FL...both inside and OUTside eating establishments. I'm a former smoker (can't believe I ever did that to my body!)...haven't smoked for 31 years. I also have asthma...had it while I was smoking (OK, I was a true idiot!). I quit after I watched my grandfather die a long, slow, painful death from lung cancer. He smoked from the time he was 11 until shortly before he died at age 72.

Back to the point....one of my favorite things about living in FL is that you can eat outdoors at most of the restaurants. Having lived my entire previous life up north, this is a real treat. However, it is ruined by all the smokers. I don't care that it is "outside"...I agree w/the original poster...cigarette smoke always seems to "find" me. It chokes me to the point that I can't breathe, let alone eat. Many a meal I've had to sit with my napkin over my nose and mouth in an attempt to filter out a smoker's noxious fumes.

I'm sure smokers think because they are smoking outside that it doesn't affect or hurt anyone else. They are sadly mistaken. Forgive me for sounding intolerant. I DO believe if people want to smoke they should be able to...in their homes and cars...but NOT in public places where others can be affected by their habit/addiction. I used to be there, I know how it is. I quit cold turkey. Anybody can DO it....you just have to want to. I replaced my cig habit with gum chewing! Worked for me.