View Single Post

Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,925 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Played in the Warriors Tournament today at Palmer Legends. It was the most extraordinary experience I've had in the Villages and we've had many. All 27 holes were occupied at the shotgun start. Each foursome was made up of 4 Villages golfers and a young wounded vet. Our vet was the victim of an IED in Afghanistan that exploded on his right side. It did serious damage to both hands, his leg, his torso and his face. Hundreds of pieces of medical hardware were used to bring him back to where he is today. He was an 8 year Air Force vet serving in an AP unit. He proudly showed us pictures of his precious daughter. He was one of the most upbeat individuals I have ever met. He shot a pretty good game of golf in spite of the loss of grip he has endured. Before his injury, he had a single digit handicap and he's almost back.

Approximately 30 of his fellow wounded warriors were nothing short of inspirational with their demonstrable, conspicuous and abundant zest for life, love of country, and complete absence of self pity. They sang the loudest, laughed the hardest and gave up not a wince at their circumstance.

Nothing since we came to the Villages has moved me to hold back tears until today while talking to one of these young heroes. I confess I leaked a little. Compared to what these young warriors have endured, the cares, woes and throes of aging seem like ships that pass in the night. It puts the meaning and joy of life into a new perspective. The essence of patriotism was everywhere.

So many donors and contributors made this event extra special. I know Palmer Legends did a lot. Someone donated a new golf cart that was raffled off. Callaway gave one of their new drivers to each of the young vets. There were so many benefactors I wish I could remember them all. I was also proud of the Villagers who turned out to support this worthy cause. I know it was an early sell out and that many who wanted to couldn't get a slot. If someone knows who I may have missed, please add them to the list.

If you can make this Classic next year.....go for it.
Thank you Cabo. Your wonderful description made this real and inspiring. I hadn't heard of it and now I will know just how great it is. Good for you and for all of the folks who put it together and particularly the young veterans who protected all of us.