View Single Post

Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I'm getting my house ready to put on the market in January (and move to TV ASAP). It's really hard to not think with my heart when I consider what the selling price should be. I have to keep telling myself that 27 years of memories are not worth anything to anyone but me. I think 'staging' the house and removing personal items will help - it will no longer be my house. And, hopefully I'll be headed south soon.
As a former real estate broker, I can confirm that "depersonalizing" your home is the right thing to do. Purchasers love neutral surroundings. Improvements to bathrooms and kitchens really pay off. You are smart to know that you can't think with your heart when pricing your home. The biggest mistake that owners make is overpricing their home, and then it gets stale, and eventually sells for less than if it had been priced correctly initially.

Your home should invite prospective purchasers in .. it should sound good (quiet music playing in the background), it should smell good (cinnamon on a low boil on the stove), and it should look good (open all the blinds and drapes, and turn on the overhead lights so your house will be bright and cheery). Unless you live next door to a funeral home, then you should keep those blinds closed.

Good luck with your sale. You'll be so happy with your decision to move to TV.