View Single Post

Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Batteries in our Rental Club Car

This will take a little 'splainin'. We're renting a house and with it comes a golf cart (Club Car). We haven't driven it very much because we didn't feel it had power enough to get us where we wanted to go and back.

Today I thought, maybe the batteries need water. There are 6 with 4 cells each. I topped off every battery with the filler bottle that was left with the house. I then plugged it in to charge. The charger kicked in and I can hear the batteries boiling and there is liquid spilling out on the garage floor. I know that is acid, but what I want to know is this normal?

I have to wonder if the charger has gone bad and is over-charging the batteries. Whenever it finishes charging, I'm going to wash out the garage, but I'm not familiar with this sort of thing.

So, is it normal for the batteries to overflow after filling with water or any time for that matter?

Thanks.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams