View Single Post

Old 12-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Sage
Default My Top Ten Yankees of all time

Ruth, Joe D, Gehrig, Mantle, Yogi, Whitey, Mariano, Jeter and Bill Dickey seem like good choices. It is number ten that is my complaint. This prima donna will never be a true Yankee and although Ruth began his career with The Red Sox and Yogi finished his with the Mets, they will always be thought of as Yankees. AROD as talented as he is or was, will never fit the mode of a true Yankee. Reggie Jackson would have been a better choice, or Thurman or Rizzuto…Holy Cow.

Top Ten Yankees Plus Comments

1. Babe Ruth – he would have been a Hall of Fame pitcher in addition to being a Hall of Fame hitter. He held the record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched in a World Series until Whitey Ford broke it. He saved baseball from the Black Sox scandal.
2. Lou Gehrig for his RBI totals and 500 plus home runs in a career that was cut short.
3. Joe D – The most dominate player in his era.
4. Mantle – I wonder how much better he could have been if he had healthy knees.
5. Yogi – My favorite. The foul home run champion. I saw him take a golf swing at a ball almost on home plate and hit a home run.
6. Whitey Ford – I thought he would win every game he pitched. Nickname is “slick”.
7. Mariano – Minnesota manager Tom Kelly said something like he belongs in a higher league. The most dominate relief pitcher I’ve ever seen.
8. Jeter – A Class act.
9. Bill Dickey – Yogi said, “He learned me everything I know”. Before my time.
10. Phil Rizzuto – Yogi said Rizzuto was the main reason they won 5 consecutive World Series from 1949 to 1953.

The best pure hitter I saw was Ted Williams. I was sitting several rows back in the third deck and he came to bat in ninth inning. He hit a shot that I thought was coming to me. The ball wound up being several rows behind me.
What a sight to behold.