View Single Post

Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Mick v Joe D -- Not fair, they're both greats. Okay, I'll just play it safe and say Hank Aaron. He's my man, my hero. One of the classiest players of all time in any sport.

However, if I had to pick, I'd have to say Joe D. Granted, Mickey could have been a lot greater if he had played sober, but he didn't and the Babe played great even hungover. So, Joe DiMaggio has got to be it. But I'll still take Hank!
Hank Aaron, yes! I was so fortunate to see him hit #715 out of park at (the old) Turner Stadium in Atlanta on April 8, 1974. You cannot even imagine the sound or length of the roar that followed. It seemed to be at least a 20 minute standing O with 55,000+ of us on our feet, jumping and applauding and shouting for joy.

Aaron had actually received death threats for daring to threaten Ruth's home run record.

Yes, this happened in the Deep South in 1974. But I can tell you as an eye witness that there was nothing that day but joy in mudville. It was historic and touching and exciting at once; and being there was easily one of the top ten experiences of my life.