View Single Post

Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Default Another Question about LSV/NEV Use...

I have a new GEM Car. It's registered and insured. I know I can use it on public roads where the speed limit is not greater than 35 MPH (but I have no real interest in doing that since the other vehicles there are much bigger and faster).

It's my understanding that, as a Villages resident, I am permitted (by The Villages, I guess) to use it on the "golf cart" paths. It's also my understanding that I can use it in the "golf cart" lanes on the public roads within The Villages (by permission of the State of Florida and/or the Counties involved?). Am I correct?

My question is about speed limits. According to its speedometer, my cart will top out at 26 MPH (it's allowed to go 25 MPH on public roads). Am I permitted to use it at up to 25 MPH in the "golf cart" lanes of public roads? Am I permitted to use it at up to 25 MPH on the "golf cart" paths? Or do I need to maintain not more than 20 MPH in those locations?

I have every intention of obeying whatever speed limits are imposed on wherever I use the vehicle; I'm just not sure exactly where they apply. I would suspect that the police can only be involved when travel is on public roads and not the private property of The Villages (the paths).

I welcome any advice about this or about where I could get "official" answers. I suspect the Sheriff's Department could advise me about the use on the roads, but whom do I ask about the paths?