View Single Post

Old 01-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
You can and should purchase a weather radio with an alarm alert that will sound if a tornado watch or warning is issued. The EF3 tornado that struck TV in 2007 occurred at 3 AM.

If your safe room is a closet, it should be one that does NOT have an attic access door. Keep a flashlight there.
About the weather radio: be sure the one you get operates on ac and batteries. Then it will always alert you even if you forget to change the batteries. Not only set it to the correct frequency, but put it in a place where anyone in the house can hear it. Then, increase the volume a little more so you are sure it will wake you at 3:00 am. There will be many alerts which come at all hours, but which are not any real danger. But no, no, don't turn that radio down low or off!

I'll never forget 2/2/07 when I blissfully drove down 441 to Home Depot about 6:30 am. Friends and many of their neighbors near Cane Garden had just suffered great loss or the total destruction of their homes. Then the tornado passed over the place I was standing and caused more damage and fatal injuries in Lady Lake and beyond. My sister called me from New York and my response was "what tornado?"

I bought my radio a few days later.