View Single Post

Old 01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Why would you consult with your neighbors for their approval? The very reason for having the ARC is to prevent people from making non-conforming changes to their property.

On the other hand, remember that extending your bird cage to the limit not only puts you closer to your neighbors, but also them closer to you.
Hi Billyg,
Welcome to TOTV. You sound like a thoughtful person for raising this issue.

I agree with EdVin on this 100 percent. Seeking your neighbor's approval or input does not make sense to me unless you plan to turn the decision over to your neighbor.

I would look at it from the neighbor's point of view to this extent: Would I have a legitimate complaint if my neighbor were doing what I'm planning to do? If so, then ARB theoretically should turn down the proposal. Nonetheless, I'd at least ask myself that. If you would not have a legitimate gripe, your neighbor should not have one either.

Many people in TV expand their homes, add birdcages, etc. It is quite common and accepted with the proper approval.

The second part of EdVin's answer is equally salient. Will you enjoy your birdcage, given it's proximity to your neighbor? Will you be considerate of your neighbor with respect to noise and other issues, and vice versa? All issues concerning proximity cut both ways.

Last edited by Pturner; 01-29-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: fix