View Single Post

Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Default Bill Paying Security

As I am not a villager (yet), I can't address this, but wanted to throw out what a recent seminar on security and protecting yourself and identity said. Never pay bills online through individual websites, all banks have free bill paying service, and it is the safest way to pay bills, more so than having an amount directly deducted from your checking account. The reason being that everyone's money is thrown together for paying, and sent to, for example, the electric company, in one check, account numbers used to indicate where the money goes, no bank account numbers, no other identifying numbers are transmitted.

For internet buying, open a paypal account, and buy the extra security key. It costs $5 and adds a generated number you type in when logging in that is different for every transaction. I have used paypal myself for years, as a way of using my credit card without every website getting the information.

Anyway, I thought I would share these suggestions that came out of our seminar a work.

I wish we were there with you all. Due to being in Tampa, and watching the price of our present home go down, we have decided to put it up next January anyway, and to work till the end of 2012 to help make up for our losses, which is an extra year for me. Have a good day everyone.

Lee and Richard in Tampa