View Single Post

Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM

The point that a lot of slow drivers are missing is that fast drivers clearly have above-average vehicle-handling skills. Sure, it’s foggy out there, the roads are slick, my tires are bald and I have macular degeneration, but none of this should stop me speeding as I am a superior driver.

Similarly, I am an above-average shopper, so I can shop-lift with impunity. I just explain this to the store-detective and he lets me take my loaded cart straight from the shelves to the car park, avoiding that pesky checkout line.

Where’s the harm? Okay, so shoplifting forces stores to put up prices to cover the losses, but that only affects those who pay for their groceries, not me. Likewise, when I write-off my car and have to spend six months in intensive care, that puts up motor and health insurance. But for everyone, not just me.

My souped-up Mustang can do 140 mph – it would be a crime to go down Buena Vista at anything less than 120.

So drive every day as if it is your last – with people like me on the roads, it may well be.