View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There is another side to this story. There are people, I am sure none are on TOTV, who will sit at a stop sign and wait until there are no cars coming from either direction before pulling out. And they can see for a really really long way. If people would just do a few simple things, like move from a stop as soon as traffic allows. Reduce the gap when departing from a traffic light. You watch and you will see 6 car lengths open before a car moves because they were talking on a cell phone or something. Turn expediently to allow traffic to flow. Drive safely but efficiently.

If we all did these simple things, we would save 23,000 barrels of oil daily. And that was a very conservative estimate. Every time you delay at a light, there are cars behind you that have to sit and idle while waiting for the next light. Next time your at a traffic light in the left turn lane especially, watch the 4 or 5 cars in front of you and the gap some leave between cars. By driving smarter, another 3 or 4 cars would have made it through that light. It happens 100% of the time when more then 8 cars are in the turn lane.

I very rarely use my horn, least used accessory in the car, but sometimes it might be prudent.