View Single Post

Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Gold member

I would like to share a story about first impressions and being wrong. The operational office I manage was moved to a new location in a different building. To get to our office area, I passed through the Customer Service area each morning. Since I'm a friendly guy, I would say good morning to two ladies near the passage way (open to their office counter) each morning. They in turn would just stare and me and say nothing. In a general conversation with one of my office friends, I mentioned that some of the Customer Service people were pretty rude for folks working in that field. He then informed me that the two ladies I spoke of were totally deaf. It had never dawned on me that anyone in customer service could be deaf. Turns out they were really nice people after I got to know them better. I just started to wave hello to them when I passed and they started to wave back.
This taught me a valuable lesson. Do not be too quick to judge others based on limited knowledge. Someone may be feeling ill, in pain, having family problems and not be their normal jolly selves, but given an encouraging smile and a little understanding, they may be good people.