View Single Post

Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum member
Default How do newbies learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
The one essential rule that makes a roundabout work is to not enter the roundabout until both lanes are clear. If everyone followed that rule, you would never have a situation where a vehicle in the left lane crosses the path of one in the right lane.

The problem is that this rule is counterintuitive to what people are used to. When you merge onto a multilane highway and have a yield sign, do you wait for all lanes to be clear or just the right lane. For most people it would be the latter I’ll bet.

The only real solution is to rebuild the roundabouts to a single lane with a right lane for right turns only. I know this can be done in a way that would not impede tractor trailers either. Unfortunately, since these are county roads, that probably won’t happen.
Hope I'm not 'steering' this off in the wrong direction here, but as someone who hasn't moved down there yet, I have a question.

Do you get a booklet or something when you become a resident that gives guidelines/instructions covering things like roundabouts, etc.? Is there some newbie class to attend, or do neighbors just clue you in as you screw up?

As a novice in anything, generally you're only going to be as competent as the instruction you are given. I've met many people along my way who do things ass backward because that's how they were 'taught' to do it.
Of course there are those who are sharp enough to correct their mistakes by observation, and those who are grounded by remarkable common sense. But there are plenty who lack those abilities, not to mention those who don't give a sh*t.
Does TV at least start you out in the right direction?