View Single Post

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Do not drop your current insurance until you have a new plan.
I am not sure but I do not think preexisting conditions should be a problem since you currently have insurance. I think you can get a letter from the current company that you are covered and you give that to your new carrier. I would check with your HR department. You could also call your current company and tell them you are moving and want to get a personnel plan similar to what you have for that location. They might be able to help you.
Pre-existing conditions ARE a problem - yes, you can get health insurance if you have had continuous coverage, but you may have to pay a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) for it if you have a pre-existing condition. Some conditions (prior cancer, diabetes, heart conditions) put you more at risk for future healthcare costs than others.

Insurers are also looking at your age as a health risk. For instance, cost to insure a healthy 30 yr old are much less than for a healthy 60 yr old.

Am currently saving up and hoping I stay relatively healthy until my COBRA runs out on July 1st. I was lucky enough to have switched to a high deductible policy while still working so my current COBRA premiums are not exhorbitant. Consider this during your open enrollment this fall if you plan to retire in 2012 and use COBRA as a bridge to Medicare or a private healthcare policy. This is if you are lucky enough to not need extensive treatment, of course, and who can predict that?