View Single Post

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
I am quite a few years away from Medicare but will be moving down to TV in a month or two as hubby is already retired. I contacted the Village Insurance Office in Lake Sumter Landing and the woman who handles health insurance for them was very informative and helpful. She provided me with several quotes, which because I am healthy, are going to be less expensive than going with Cobra coverage for next 18 months.

She also mentioned that this is the time to get private insurance, while I'm healthy...what if I go with the Cobra and then develop a health condition in the next year and a half? It would be much more expensive and more difficult to get private insurance then.
I believe this is true - for the first year. If you develop a condition while on private insurance, I think they will jack up the premium for the next year and beyond. And I think asking these questions when shopping won't always get you the straight answer, unfortunately (kind of like Direct TV - "we're sorry you were misinformed)." Can anyone with experience in this answer directly?