View Single Post

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
n/a

Default Just Be Informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
.... be better informed about the financial crisis...then begin to think and draw your own conclusions.
I don't know what else to say. I'm certainly not endorsing this guy's conclusions. Far from it, in fact. While he describes the mechanics of what would happen if the dollar was replaced as the reserve currency, he's a little light on really how it could happen, or rather what might prevent it from happening.

I think there are two factors that would inhibit the displacement of the U.S. dollar as a reserve currency. First, what other currency would replace it? Currently there is none, and I think the idea of a basket of currencies is fraught with too many complications. Secondly, he seems to underestimate the power of political influence on such a change happening. The real danger lies with China surpassing the U.S. as an economic and military power. That might take awhile, but in time an argument could be made that the Chinese yuan is stronger, more stable, and maybe a better choice as a world reserve currency.

But once we better understand the mechanics of what Stansberry proposes might happen, it is a safe conclusion that so long as the U.S. continues to grow it's debt and becomes weaker economically, both our political influence and economic power to resist things such as Stansberry proposes is lessened.