Thread: Eyeglasses
View Single Post

Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
So VillagesFlorida! Would a place like Sam's be comparable to Costco? I have a story about these glasses that didn't 'fit'...amd part of it could have been me. I understood the opthalmologist to tell me I needed an RX so that's why I'd gone out to purchase new glasses. It was about a month before we headed up north for a few months. I had another checkup with the opthalmologist up there as a re-check that was ordered. Just in case--I brought both pairs of my glasses along to ask about my RX and what was going on from their perspective. The technician told me my RX had NOT changed. But that when you purchase glasses from the places such as I did...that the quality of the lenses could be a factor and it's just as you stated. I learned my lesson BUT that being said and now that we're fulltime here I need to have some recommendations on places to go. Now I have Peepers, Costco (which is close to Orlando) and ???? I won't purchase from my eye-doctor's place as I KNOW they're out of sight with cost. Seems like highway robbery and one is between a rock and a hard place when they need to see. Just my humble opinion.
JenAjd, it seems that there are already enough positive comments here about "Peepers" that you might give them a try next time you need glasses. I have not been there so I can't recommend from MY personal experience. Costco is great as far as quality for what you pay but it is a 65-mile drive from my home in The Villages, one way. We don't mind the ride every now and then. IF you have any problems after you get your glasses from a shop that is that far away, then you have to drive all the way back to get help. Something to think about with Costco. I have never purchased glasses from Sam's so I can't help you there. In the December issue of Consumer Reports Costco Optical came in 1st in overall satisfaction among 30,000 readers. "It was also the only retailer surveyed that stood out in another area: lack of problems, such as loose lenses, distorted or blurred vision, or damaged frames, in the first few weeks after purchase." The article went on to state that if one wasn't "a Costco shopper you might do better by getting your glasses at your doctor's office or from an independent optical boutique." Most all of the other chain optical shops did not rate very well. Personally, I miss my little optical shop in Belleview, Cox Optical. It was owned and operated by a husband and wife team and the service was outstanding. The frame selection wasn't great but I usually bought my frame elsewhere and had Mike make the lenses. Unfortunately, they went out of business due to the bad economy.