View Single Post

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Not Just the villages - its the times

I think that there may be as many causes for rudeness as there are people:
A main one - I agree with downeaster – prejudice (and any assumption of superiority based on casual contact is a form of prejudice) starts early and hate is like a cancer it grows and feeds itself, and those infected in youth can be completely consumed by the time they reach village age. My mama use to say people rarely change they just get more so..
It is not just the villages in the past couple of years people seem to have gotten rude or at the least self-absorbed to the point of rudeness.
I think a possible cause is fear and frustration; that leads to an overall grumpy bad tempered state that I am seeing allot of in the past couple of years. The world is changing so fast and people feel that nothing is safe, sure or predictable. This is in my opinion creating a nervous, scared, feeling in allot of people. They see pensions go away, the value of what they worked hard for diminish. I haven’t met anyone who feels that their job is secure, not even those at the top of their profession earning good money. If it isn’t affecting them directly, it probably has some close friend or family member. I believe it is this “who knows what tomorrow will bring” nothing is for sure feeling that is affecting a lot of people at the core. When people are scared they get defensive and mean. They think -It isn’t my fault I did everything right so it must be someone else’s fault- that someone else being anyone they don’t identify with.

Maybe the Seattle drizzle is just making me maudlin.