View Single Post

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Just wondering. Is this just a U.S. thing? Has anyone experienced similar with national anthems in other countries? I mean, singers who feel the need to improvise the melody to "make it their own"? This is the NATIONAL ANTHEM!!! It is not their latest potential top 40 song. I don't expect it to be sung without emotion, but I expect it to be sung with respect for the words and music. I wondered what those service people overseas thought about the "rendition" they heard. They had a Medal of Honor recipient at halftime. Wonder what he thought of it. I hope Red doesn't consider me one of the intolerant people, because not many things push my buttons, but that did.
There's a BIG difference about being upset when someone changes an anthem and being upset because someone accidently mucks up a line. I didn't like her rendition but I did understand that even the greats (and she's not one of them) make mistakes and that stagefright does happen. As to what many others thought about her rendition, I'm willing to bet that many of the younger military liked it -- the traditionalists probably had issues. I really don't think she meant to do anything with disrespect. Course, I came from the generation that thought the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner was done by a guitarist who played behind his back, smashed his guitar on impulse and was known to burn more than one guitar on stage and I still get chills when I hear Jimi Hendrix's version.

As to other anthems, I have heard the Canadian anthem changed by stylists. "Oh, Brittania" has never been altered that I know of. I don't think anyone has touched the French or German anthems. Have no clue about Italy. And absolutely no clue about the rest of the world.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein