View Single Post

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Sage

While I understand the interest in the details, I don't think it would be appropriate for Moffitt to disclose, to anyone who asks, the finer points of its lease agreement with the Morse family. The process of acquiring space to house the facility is completely separate from the process of funding the equipment for it. So far, Moffitt/CFHA is asking for donations to pay for the equipment they say they need, not to pay the rent.

I suspect most of the discomfort is due to the use of the word "donate" in the initial stories about the center. The more we learn, the more evident it is that "donate" does not reflect the actual relationship between Morse and CFHA/Moffitt. It is a purely business relationship with a developer funding construction of a property to generate income and a health care entity leasing it. I think people initially thought that since the developer was donating valuable land to the cause, that donations to fund the equipment were appropriate. Now we see that nothing is really being donated by the Morse's, people are not as comfortable donating for the equipment.