View Single Post

Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
When you don't feel physically well, you might be grumpy.
When you don't feel emotionally well, you may lash out at others.
When you don't feel spiritually well, you are never satisfied.
If you don't feel mentally well, your moods can be exceptionally unpredictable.

So when I encounter grumps, meanies, indifference, intolerance or purposeful rudeness, then I assume one of the above applies. In these cases, I try my best to be extra sensitive, caring and calm. Either it works or not. When not, at least I didn't add to that person's burden.
Gracie and Red,

I think some people become more intolerant as they age because it is likely that they don't feel well physically, emotionally, spiritually, or mentally. They've lived long enough to endure the bumps, jabs, punches and slaps life sometimes doles out, and so some older people are "injured". When you don't feel well, you may respond in a negative way.

Others have not endured as many hard times, and those folks behave in a more positive manner.

And, I agree with you that being optimistic or pessimistic is an in-born trait. So it comes down to the age-old debate = nature vs nurture.

Either
- you are born with a positive nature and stay that way no matter what (nature), or,
- You used to be more positive but life beat you down, (nurture) or,
- You were always a negative thinker, don't realize it, and don't know how to be or act any other way (nature),
- You were born a pessimist but learned how to look on the bright side (nurture).

To me, the question is: How do we choose to respond when someone is intolerant?