View Single Post

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
I opted to give this topic a separate thread because it suggests a broader perspective then current threads concerning the latest Orlando Sentinel and Lauren Ritchie contrived assault on The Villages. While existing thread topics are included I am attempting to define a bigger picture. Apologies to similar thread starters....no hijack intended. Administrators feel free to adjust if you disagree.

Moffitt Center, Relay for Life and the Morse family.

Today's Village Sun pretty much spells out what prompted the Relay for Life decision that Lauren Ritchie and the Orlando Sentinel manufactured into a sinister, evil plot by the Morse family. In simple terms, a disproportionate share of the funds raised were going outside the Villages. The developer exercised leverage to insure a larger share went to medical care for Villagers. To this end, a new charity called Mission for Moffitt will insure that goal. Editorial articles by the founder of Relay for Life, Sonny Resmondo and Evan Richards should expose Ms. Ritchie's pattern of Villages bashing. Speaking of which.....I wonder how Lauren and the Orlando paper will spin this into another assault on Villagers and the Morse family?

Further, it occurred to the me that Ritchie and the critics are selectively painting the developers role with Moffitt and the physical plant in a fashion that perpetuates their bias. It appears to me that the Morse family is contributing the land and construction. The Orlando paper is selectively vague on that point while stressing largely by innuendo, potential lease revenues as a diabolical plot to generate contributions. In any case, that is between Moffitt and the developer. I haven't seen anywhere where the Morse family is the recipient of contributions to the Moffitt Center. Further, no one is being forced to contribute so why are some trying to demonize and intimidate vicariously, those who contribute. It's not your money. I choose to contribute and respect your right not to. Please take care to do no harm to honest fund raising that can help my family, friends and neighbors benefit from what Moffitt and Boissoneault offer.

Litany of Bashing the Villages

In fairness to Ms. Ritchie, she has emphatically disclosed that she is not a reporter. She is a columnist whose work product does not have to be supported by fact or empirical research. Accordingly, in my opinion, she has in the past used her pen to incite angst and distress for many Villagers. Relevant excerpts from my previous posts are included below.

In the August 29 Orlando Sentinel, Ritchie further tweaks Villagers with her recent statement, "Ritchie: It's got to be unsettling and frightening to wonder what's in store. Not to mention expensive. The district already has spent more than $209,000 of residents' money so far, nearly all on high-powered lawyers on both coasts."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

The most frightening and unsettling circumstance is Lauren Ritchie's selectively alarming language created to further distress those who view them. In my opinion and notwithstanding opinions to the contrary, it is desperate, insidiously sinister and ethically challenged. Ask yourself, do you get the impression Ritchie is rooting for the IRS and would love to be able to say to Villagers....I told you so? .........and that is why balance, or lack thereof is significant.

She lost all credibility with many when in an early article she, with cavalier arrogance and presumptuousness stated, "And it is time for homeowners to worry less about their tee time and marvelous activities and more about their future property values and financial liability."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Copyright © 2009, Orlando Sentinel

What is her purpose in admonishing Villagers to worry about their "property values and financial liability"?

That calculated statement created angst with many Villagers and potential Villagers. It did what Laura Ritchie wanted.

Here's another Ritchie hatchet headline on the Villages. We Villagers are such a greedy lot....according to our friend Lauren.

Greedy Villages fires first salvo in water war COMMENTARY - LakefrontMarch 11, 2007|By Lauren Ritchie, Sentinel Columnist

Starting to see a pattern?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...water-villages

Has the columnist reported on the positive developments that have blossomed and benefited the people of Sumter, Lake and Marion counties as a direct result of the growth of the Villages?

The hospital and copious medical services and resources that came with development would not exist for so many area residents that have availed themselves of its services and care.

The tax revenues from new Village property owners that have improved police, fire, emergency medical, public safety resources, roadways and general municipal service would not exist.

Multiple safe, planned, quality entertainment and shopping venues that are enjoyed by thousands of non-Villagers would be on some one's drawing board.

Not once, to the best of my knowledge, has Lauren Ritchie written about the the evil developer's role in bringing the Charter Schools to the region. Thousands of children benefit from first class facilities and quality educational processes now in place. Not once has Ms. Ritchie written about the scores of Villagers, many with professional education backgrounds, who volunteer and work with kids from the area....who generously donate and raise funds for educational programs. That, from my viewpoint would be a benefit to the area's educational services that would not exist without the development of the Villages....and the "evil" developer's vision.

Has anyone seen an article from Ms. Ritchie about the economic and employment opportunities that result directly from the development of The Villages. Now that would be an interesting series of articles comparing the region's economy and job growth before and after development. It would probably sell papers.....ahhhh.....but wait. It might put the evil developer in a positive light and that would be inconsistent with Ms. Ritchie and the agenda of an assortment of Village bashers. Further, it would require a real journalistic effort accompanied by empirical research and Ms. Ritchie has often reminded us that she is a columnist....not a journalist. She is unencumbered by the journalistic concepts of objectivity and balance. From a personal perspective, I am not a shill for the developer. On balance, I believe he has done more good than bad and I believe that is a net positive.

Notwithstanding those that think her "scare" commentary is beneficial in some abstract way, I believe the dearth of real, in depth reporting on this issue speaks louder than her contrived assaults on the developer and the vicarious, intended or unintended distress it may contribute to Villagers of good will.

For balance, I guess if I was born and raised here, I may have some resentment about what progress has taken away. A quiet, idyllic countryside dotted with watermelon patches, horse farms, cattle grazing peacefully and fishing holes that never heard the whine of an outboard motor. A lifestyle that insulates you from car, truck and traffic noises. A lifestyle that keeps you from the pollution of progress. Damn Walt Disney and Gary Morse.

Moffitt Center Controversy

I have had suspicions that the biased reporting on the Moffitt/ Robert Boissoneault Oncology Center controversy has been used as a circulation booster and/or part of a continuing pattern of contemporary Florida style yellow journalism directed at the The Villages and the developer.

I have heard nothing but positive accolades about the Robert Boissoneault Oncology Center and the Moffitt Cancer Center. I recently lost a family member to this insidious disease and do not understand why having both centers would be anything but positive for Villagers who need treatment options.

Wouldn't the competition offer patients more options?

Wouldn't two outstanding centers facilitate prompter treatment by virtue of more beds or appointment opportunities?

As we grow as a community, would we want to block Sloan-Kettering from opening here and competing with services?

I'm sure you can add to the list.

It's a wonderful country that gives us freedom of the press. It's equally wonderful that you can take exception to the commentary that you disagree with. If you disagree with my assessments, I would welcome divergent opinions.

For the record.....I have no connection to the developer, the Morse family or any of its varied interests. I am a 5 year Villages resident who has never met anyone in the Morse family. On occasion, I have publicly disagreed and questioned some of the developers decisions.

WOW!!! Articulate...I couldn't have said this better!!! In reading some of the other threads...one would get the opinion there's a master conspiracy going againest us. I haven't lived here long and if I wasn't an independent thinker...I'd have wondered what we'd gotten ourselves into by moving here. People, this is a free country that has grown with the Free Enterprise System...and kudos to the Morse family for having an idea and a dream and we all get to benefit from it. I say I'm happy that I have options here if the need would arise. Enough said...let's stop and smell the roses and not be looking under every leaf for something bad to pop out at us!!