View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Gold member
Default Flunking high-school journalism or getting an A+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
I think if you read many of the recent posts - we are not attacking the messenger, nor praising the Daily Scum - er Sun. BUT had I written any articles in my high school Journalism class, I would have failed as the teacher would refer to what she writes as "yellow journalism."

A few examples from her article... "stunning snag" "there should be ranting about the Morse family, their hired henchmen" (hired henchmen???)

PS - If her reporting is not to increase circulation, then why publish what she writes?
Yellow journalism? Perhaps. Inaccurate reporting? I don't think so. Do I always agree with her tone, her occasional hyperbole, and her interpretation of the facts? No.

Flunking your high-school journalism class because you wrote like Ms. Ritchie? It the assignment was to write an AP-type, just-the-facts-maam, news bulletin, clearly an F. However, if the assignment was to investigate and comment on a major news story being covered up or distorted by the local newspaper because the story involved the owner of that newspaper, I think you would have gotten an "A+" if you dug deep, exposed the truth, and came our swinging the way Ms. Ritchie does.

With respect to the PS: So every article in every newspaper is published to increase circulation and should be ignored even if factually correct? Should we get our news from TV instead?

I repeat what I think is the central question: Has anybody found any material, factual inaccuracies in any of Ms. Ritchie's articles about The Villages? The personal attacks on Ms. Ritchie and on her writing style, and one can certainly disagree with her writing style, seem to have deflected attention from this central question.