Thread: Lanai's & Rain
View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Sage

Yourself and others have just answered some of the questions we've been pondering while still up here in the minus ten degrees below zero frozen tundra of Vermont. The winter from hell. We haven't seen snowstorms and cold temps like this since 41 years ago....which makes us realize that as we age, a warmer climate is certainly more beneficial. Can't even imagine the heat and humidity at the moment, but that was an excellent response and suggestion.

Hubby's other question is whether or not a gas powered generator can somehow or other be operated from within the underground gas lines that come into the house.....or does one just use a gas propane tank or bottled gas outside of the home? I'm wondering how that would be in the heat of summer? I realize this isn't the correct place to ask this question, but cannot find where I should inquire. Sorry.

Has anyone presently living in The Villages ever experience a long drawn out power outage with no electricity? How long would a home generator work?
Any details on either building a home with a generator at TV or buying a resale which already has a generator vs. a portable generator such as we have here in Vermont would be welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

Also, I just read that the gas lines are from Leesburg and are customer owned? What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that the home owner owns the pipes from the street to the house? That would make sense. Or is it something else? Obviously, the problems such as recently experienced in the cities with gas line explosions would NOT be expected in newer areas such as TV. We use home heating oil up here...so not familiar with gas.

Would anyone volunteer what the monthly gas bills might be?
Are they connected to the electric bill? Like gas and electric combined as a utility bill?

Our heating oil is astronomical as is our electric. Again, thanks to any and all for their insights.